Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Week 2 Revision


                For my final post, I wanted to revisit and revise my post about Scott McCloud’s Understanding Comics. I want to start off by saying that I don’t feel like I analyzed the comic anywhere near enough in the first post so this is something that I’ve been meaning to do. This comic is fantastic guide for comic book readers to view and understand why the artist of the comic might have drawn something in a certain way. It breaks down and explains important concepts that most comic book authors use to create a successful comic. Besides helping readers understand the comics that they are reading, Understanding Comics also helps new comic book artists become familiar with the conventions seen in modern day comics. The comic also teaches the reader how they, themselves see comics and read them.
                There are many important concepts within the book, such as the importance of how characters are depicted, and how important it is to understand the different ways of progressing from scene to scene.  The comic itself is easy to read, utilizing the same conventions that it is helping us understand. Its simplistic style and use of humor keeps the reader interested and aids to help the reader process all of the information that is being given.  I think that anyone who is interested in comics and has not yet read this, should do so. This comic has helped me to understand and analyze the comics that I have read over the course of this semester, as well as understand the thinking process that was involved with creating it. Understanding Comics stands true to its title. I am glad I was able to have the chance to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment