Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Week 12







                This week I read a bit of Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi.  I found it to be quite interesting for a couple of reasons. The story was told from the author’s point of view as a young girl growing up in the Middle East. Through story you get to see her point of view change about religion, the war, and people in general. I found it interesting to see how the main character changed as she got older and how her reaction toward the war changed.  Another thing that got my attention while reading was the cartoony art style that the author chose to use. I found it interesting because the way it was drawn looks like a kid could have created it. I think that the style gives the story a much more upbeat feel while talking about such serious topics, such as death, torture, and terrorism. I also liked how the way it was written made it seem like it was written by the author as a little girl. The violence in the story wasn’t over the top or graphic at all. Much like the style of the comic, the violence, such as people getting hit with clubs, was portrayed much like something straight out of a children’s cartoon. Overall, I enjoyed reading this comic. The style was simple and easy to understand, same as the writing. I found its historical content interesting and how relatable it is with the stories I hear on the news.  I also liked that it gave me a bit of a background as to what it is like growing up in Iran around the time the story takes place.

No comments:

Post a Comment