Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Week 9


                This week I read Stories from Heavy Metals by Moebius. While reading, I was drawn to the imaginative landscapes and narratives. I also found the narrative troubling however, with the way that most of his stories build up, and up, and then turns 180 degrees and ends abruptly. Some stories, this type of story-telling worked, but in others it just left me with so many questions. The first story alone left me with a ton of questions, such as, what is up with those naked guys and why did that one naked guy kick the guy wearing clothes? Do they not like clothes that much that they resort to such hostility? Why is that caped guy walking around a dead pterodactyl and, why did the pterodactyl come back to life after the other guy fixed the machine? Could it be that the repair man is inside the pterodactyl, repairing the machine that keeps it running? But then how can he see the pterodactyl on his computer screen? Those were just a couple of my thoughts while reading the first story.
                Overall, I really liked his art style with and his heavy use of bright contrasting colors. I found his settings to be eerie and rugged, making them look dangerous and harsh environments. I liked that his work makes the audience contemplate a deeper meaning within most of his stories, imagine what type of world that his characters are living in, and think about how they can relate the scenarios to the real world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment